Sunday, February 27, 2011

63. Brewster: Nickerson State Park


To misquote a character from one of my favorite movies of all-time, Johnny Dangerously, I will say this: I once saw two yellow-bellied woodpeckers on the same tree at Nickerson State Park in Brewster.


Once.


Today I was not so lucky, but a dearth of birdlife does not make for a bad day. I had already walked for two full hours on Cape Cod by the time that I reached Brewster, had given a lecture in Duxbury in the morning and had another one ready for the Cape Cod Postcard Collectors' Club in Dennis later that night. It was already an exhilirating day, and there was more to come.


So my wandering at Nickerson took me past a frozen pond and out onto pine-needle laden trails. I found a giant glacial erratic boulder that when viewed three-dimensionally looked like a big stony catcher's mitt. I had the urge to sit on it, where the ginat rock baseball would sit, and set my camera up to take a picture. Then I thought of a new blog, MeOnaRock.com. I could go all over the planet and have my picture taken on the famous rocks of the world.


Did I mention that I had already been walking for two hours?

No comments:

Post a Comment