Thursday, February 17, 2011

56. Belmont: Habitat Wildlife Sanctuary


I guess I underestimated the warming powers of the sea. While the snow has dissipated quite substantially on the South Shore recently, it seems that just a bit inland, just to the west of Boston, the cold is holding firm. There was more snow in Belmont today (February 17) than I would have guessed.


Crunch, crunch, crunch...behind me a jogger started his approach. Good thing he wasn't trying to sneak up on me. To get out of his way, I headed for a patch of birch trees, then turned onto the Red Pine Trail. Guess what I found. Let's just say that when I found the entrance to the Red Maple Trail, I knew exactly what to expect.


Somehow I met the jogger again, despite my circuitous, wandering route. Crunch, crunch, crunch. My guess is he knew where he was going, which made our run-ins so funny. One shooting star, one bouncing moth.


I finally found my way back toward the parking lot after passing a sugar maple with a bucket on it. Yes, even here in Massachusetts, sap runs. Climate controls how much and how fast, and what grade syrup it makes. After this winter, it'll be interesting to see what the harvest brings.


Crunch, crunch, crunch...I hopped into my car and drove off. I think that guy was following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment